For a more traditional meal that’s full of flavour, try this Chicken Masala recipe. Guaranteed to bring everyone to the dinner table!
1. Marinate chicken with yogurt, cumin, coriander, salt, chili powder, turmeric, garlic and ginger for 20 to 30 minutes. Remove chicken from marinade, discarding marinade.
2. Grill or sauté chicken in skillet over medium heat for about 10 minutes or until cooked through; set aside.
3. Make the sauce: In a skillet, heat half of the oil over medium heat; cook onion for about 15 minutes or until golden brown. Add bell pepper and cashews; cook for 2 minutes, stirring often. Remove from stove; let stand until cool enough to handle. Purée in blender, adding a few tablespoons of water if needed. Set aside.
4. In skillet, heat remaining oil with butter over medium heat; cook cumin, coriander, cloves, cardamom and cinnamon, stirring constantly, for 2 or 3 minutes or until very fragrant. Add reserved bell pepper purée; sauté gently for 3 minutes. Stir in ketchup, chili powder, and salt to taste. Stir in cream.
5. Crush kasoori methi with fingers; add to skillet and cook for 2 minutes. (If you like sauce with a thinner consistency, add a few more tablespoons of water and an extra splash of cream; simmer gently for 5 minutes.) Return reserved chicken to skillet, tossing well to coat with sauce.
6. Season with salt and extra chili powder if desired. Garnish with cilantro.