Roasting a whole chicken in the crockpot infuses the meat with the taste of harvest vegetables, creating succulent flavours and moist texture. Perfect for an easy weeknight dinner!
Whole Tied Chicken
- 1 Zabiha Halal Whole Tied Chicken
- 2 onions, peeled and quartered
- 1 fennel bulb (discard stalks), roughly chopped in large pieces
- 4 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped in large pieces
- 4 celery stalk, roughly chopped in large pieces
- 1 garlic bulb, unpeeled, cut in half
- 3/4 teaspoon regular paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1 lemon, washed
- Place all vegetables and garlic bulb at the bottom of the crockpot. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- In a bowl, mix all spices and herbs. Rub chicken inside and outside.
- Cut lemon in half and slide the two pieces into the chicken cavity.
- Place chicken on top of vegetables. Cover and cook on High for 4 hours. Avoid lifting cover before 3 hours have passed, then prick chicken thighs to see if juices run clear to ensure it’s cooked. If juices don’t run clear, continue to cook for another hour.
- Using two large spoons, carefully transfer chicken to an ovenproof dish and broil in the oven on low for 5 minutes. Serve with cooked vegetables from the slow cooker and mashed potatoes.